June 21, 2013

Behind the scenes of a fashion shooting in Barcelona. How it is prepared.


When I prepare a shooting I like to have meetings with all the team so everyone know what it is about and what my idea is, I tell them what I want and hear suggestions that can make the idea go a step further. We create the shooting together. This way everyone will feel more involved and motivated and the work during session will flow smoothly. I firmly believe that the most important aspect of every kind of shooting is communication.

9:00 All the team meet at the chosen studio in the centre of Barcelona.

9:30 Laura, the model, is with the MUA. Normally I would be there, talking to her and explaining the idea of the shooting, the poses I want, etc. But this time I had the opportunity to meet her before the shooting so we already went trough the mood-board and had a long talk which helped the model to feel comfortable during the shooting.






9:45 The stylist prepares dress and props, I help my assistant to set up the lights.  Every now and then I pop in the make-up room to have few words with Laura to maintain the complicity we built.




10:30 I load the films into the backs of my camera; we shooting on Kodak Portra on a medium Format camera. My assistant cleans the lenses we will be using.


10:45 Laura is almost ready.  Checking  last details before start shooting.







10:50 I meter the light to be sure the exposure is the one I want, meanwhile I keep talking to Laura and remind her the mood she has to express in this shot





10:54 I take some polaroids to check that light and shadows are the ones I was after. I also study them looking for what doesn't work and correct it.



11:02 Ready to shoot! I take 5 or 6 photos with little differences in pose and then we change dresses, set and lights starting all over again.









18:00 The session is over. We had 6 changes for dresses, make up, hair style and set. Every one is tired, it was quite hard, but it isn't over for me: I can't wait to get to the studio and start developing the film rolls with the C41 process.

Do you want to know the result of this shooting? Stay tuned then!


No comments:

Post a Comment